Friday, July 17, 2015

Fat Shaming, My Thoughts....

I wanted to take time today to write a blog that I felt was very a very important subject to me. You probably have seen it often in the news lately and women and men are taking to Twitter and Facebook about it as well. That topic would be: "FAT SHAMING". This is a touchy subject so I am approaching it with caution but at the same time I am writing from my heart and my views on it. 

Fat Shaming is described as "A term made by obese people to avoid the responsibility to actually take proper care of their body and instead victimize themselves by pretending they’re discriminated like an ethnic group." (http://definithing.com/fat-shaming/) 

Fat Shaming and taking acceptance of your body are 2 different things. We as Americans lately it seems to want to take anything and turn it into a way of being racist, hateful and so on. We want to be a victim in some light or fashion. We need to wake up! This is not okay. WE do NOT need to teach our sons and daughters that it is okay to morbidly obese. 

When I grew up as a little girl I was overweight. I wasn't happy being overweight, unable to keep up with fit friends and I knew my life was unhealthy. My parents didn't support my weight but they also didn't look down on me negatively. What they did do was provide me with resources and chances to try and fix myself. They loved me as ME, not for being FAT or being SKINNY but because of who I AM! 

By Fat Shaming we are supporting that life style instead of encouraging our children that we need to do our best to be healthy, to be active and to work on ourselves. I am not saying there is anything wrong with my daughter having more weight than she should, but it is my job as a mom to encourage her lifestyle and being healthy. Not to encourage her to continue to gain weight and continue to be at health's door step for continuous health problems. There is a difference between being HEALTHY and being UNHEALTHY. Between making excuses "Fat Shaming" and accepting your body for who you really are! 

I am taking a stand in my own life to not support FAT SHAMING but to encourage body acceptance. Accept yourself for who you are, you are not a victim, you can change anything you want to change but it begins with YOU! I will teach A and my unborn child that just because they may be a little heavier, they may have to eat a little different to get back on track, that being outdoors with their father and I and being active is not only good for them emotionally, but also physically and mentally. I will teach them that they can love who they are on the inside because on the outside we are ALWAYS changing. The key as a parent is to provide the necessary tools for our children! And being there and being a ROLE MODEL for our children! 

I know what it's like to be judged, to be made fun of, to not fit in because I was too FAT to wear what the other girls wore, or I wasn't pretty enough. But Today I can say, Those girls that judged me, that bashed me, that looked down on me, 50% of them reversed roles with me. I am now that fit mom, that healthy mom and they aren't and I don't sit here and laugh at them. I encourage them as I wish they had encouraged me. I have hopes that they will find the path back to being healthy, to loving themselves, because in someones face you can always see the hurt, the sadness, the urge to change.

I hope you understand my views on fat shaming and body acceptance, with that being said I am going to leave you with one of my favorite quotes about body acceptance.

"I think it's so important for girls to love themselves and to treat their bodies respectfully."
Ariana Grande

Much love, 
Krista XO

No comments:

Post a Comment